Running Out of Time

It’s a strange thing. I know the pre-Christmas season was extra-long this year, because Thanksgiving was so early, yet here I am, with four days to go and a ton of things to get done. I had such high hopes for being organized this year — I started shopping early and decorated the apartment during the first weekend in December; holiday-preparation progress was being made. And then it all stopped. I lost my Christmas mojo.

Now, with family members arriving in town, I still have so much to get done. There are almost 50 Christmas cards to write. I need to find presents for my nephews and stocking stuffers for my mom and siblings. There are dozens upon dozens of cookies to bake. And there is so little time left. I either need a clone or a serious re-assessment of what can reasonably be accomplished.

How did this happen?

11 thoughts on “Running Out of Time

1. sprite December 21, 2007 / 11:38 am

I don’t know, but I think it may be because of Osama bin Laden. Or El Nino. Or maybe the Republicans.

Let me know whom to blame because I’m way behind too. (And staying up until 6 a.m. does not seem to make me more productive. I wonder why that is..)

2. Shannon December 21, 2007 / 12:59 pm

You’re not the only one. I’m rather despondant to hear that I actually had MORE time for Christmas preparation….I just didn’t have any motivation this year and now I’m scrambling.

Does it help to hear that you’re not alone?

I like blaming the Republicans. Everything is their fault anyways.

3. randomduck December 21, 2007 / 4:09 pm

Whatever the case may be, it happens.

And to save time, get rid of all extraneous formatting and punctuation in your blog posts, like this:

seenoisntthatbetternowthereiseconomyintypingandlesstoworryabout

Heee….

Good luck!

4. Joanne December 21, 2007 / 7:14 pm

HA HA, suckers! I finished up today, when I got a four hour early release from work today. Ahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Now I just have to wrap everything.

5. Mom December 21, 2007 / 9:19 pm

You all are in “youngsters heaven” — I’m running out of time and stamina! Enjoy the scurring — it’s FUN ! Personally can’t function w/o punctuation — I had to WORK to read it 🙂

6. wendalicious December 21, 2007 / 9:27 pm

I am offended…not by Appomattox, but by the “I like blaming the Republicans. Everything is their fault anyways” remark. 😛

I bought my friend Jason the greatest gift ever – it’s called the “Democrats I Have a Dream 2008” coffee mug…when you add a hot beverage, all of the red states turn blue! I signed it “From Your Republican Friend”. He loved it.

MY shopping finally got done Wednesday night…my wrapping has yet to commence. Do not feel bad – it happens to the best of us. Just pour yourself a glass of wine, and do what you can do.

I would advocate for NOT writing the Christmas cards…I gave that up a couple years ago (when I had neither the time not the inclination), and nobody seems to miss them. Or do you?

BTW, Joanne: your Christmas card was ADORABLE! Your daughter is such a cutie pie!

7. Joanne December 21, 2007 / 10:25 pm

I like Christmas cards with pictures, so I can see how everyone is doing. Justyn and Cindy send cards out with pictures of their (huge) house and their cat and Cindy getting her Ph.D, and so now I have a little better idea what’s going on up there with them. Obviously, I like seeing everyone’s kids. (Thanks for the compliments, Wendy!) So, Wendy, if next year you get on Shutterfly and send out a card with a buncha pictures of you and Bob living your life, I would love to see it.

8. Joanne December 21, 2007 / 10:26 pm

Oh, and I haven’t thought about being offended by Appomattox in YEARS. What exactly was in the water in college, anyway??

The mug is AWESOME. I want one.

9. Shannon December 21, 2007 / 11:22 pm

Uh oh. I’m in the doghouse now.

Eh, what else is new? (shrugs it off) Ever since telling Deb to F-off many moons ago, Shannon’s spine grew a few new vertebrae that day. I can take it! 😉

Can I amend that statement to say Conservative? Sorry Wendy, I don’t consider you a true Conservative. Would that suffice?

That mug is great! Pretty hilarious really. I wish I could give it to the person who parks in my parking garage with two bumper stickers….one has the U.S. with most red states in it and the other says “Annoy a Liberal”. Makes me think that I work in the same building as Ann Coulter. Ick.

10. Fran December 22, 2007 / 12:51 am

Sweetpea, SKIP the cards … cause we all read your blog anyway. SKIP the cookies … cause who needs them. BUT be sure to stuff your Mom’s stocking 🙂 HUGE HUGS, Auntie Fran

11. Sweetpea December 22, 2007 / 10:43 am

Wendy, you are a Republican from New York. This makes you a Democrat in at least 20 states, if not more.

Joanne, the mug is fabulous — I’ve seen it. We all need one.

And Fran, are you out of your mind? Give up on the cookies? Christmas cookies are one of the best things about the holiday season. Honestly, if I was forced to choose between getting presents and eating homemade cookies, I don’t think presents would win!