Ms. Fussypants

I just went to Starbucks and ordered a triple, grande, skim, no-whip, gingerbread latte.

This makes me sad. I mock people who order picky, silly coffee drinks. I think, “just drink coffee, dammit!” And normally, that’s exactly what I do. It’s just that the gingerbread lattes make me weak. They’re so delicious that I clearly lose my senses. But it’s only two months out of the year, so it’s forgivable, right? I’ll be off the chain stuff and back to my local coffees shops after the first of the year. I promise.

8 thoughts on “Ms. Fussypants

1. Shannon November 13, 2007 / 11:19 am

Now this begs the question…are you now contributing to the percieved discriminiation against women in coffee shops?

(It’s a complete coincidence that this was published the same day as your post – funny, no?)

2. Sweetpea November 13, 2007 / 12:16 pm

Someone took the time to research who gets their coffee served most quickly? Really? Have sociologists completely run out of useful things to study? Sigh.

3. sprite November 13, 2007 / 12:22 pm

I refuse to call sizes by silly names. Small. Medium. Large. Bigger than my head.

Every once in a while, though, I encounter a Starbucks employee who refuses to understand me when I say I want a large tea: “You want venti?” “How the hell would I know? Is that a large?”

4. Sweetpea November 13, 2007 / 12:35 pm

I’ve seen that same lack of understanding when it comes to milk. Some of them refuse to comprehend “skim” as being equivalent to the apparently-cooler “nonfat.”

The coffee shop I normally go to requires neither fancy size names nor special milk lingo. That’s why I love them. They do not, however, have gingerbread-y goodness. It’s tragic.

5. randomduck November 13, 2007 / 12:36 pm

Given that all of the Starbucks size names mean “large,” it’s all a bit much. The student-run coffee place here mocks *bux by calling their biggest cup the “über.”

If I actually liked flavored coffee beverages, the gingerbread stuff might come close. But it’s still some interloper on my coffee’s turf, so I can’t do it.

6. Shannon November 13, 2007 / 12:56 pm

I’m so glad that I drink tea. 🙂

7. MsP November 14, 2007 / 3:29 pm

I blogged this a while ago. I have my own Starbucks travel mug. (It’s actually really nice. I bought it out of necessity while away on a campaign one year.) I handed it to the nice lady behind the Starbucks counter and said, “Mild, please.” And she asked, “Coffee?”

*blink*

That was May, and I’m still baffled when I think of it. No, not coffee. Salsa. What the hell else do you serve?

8. Chris November 16, 2007 / 12:52 am

Hey, without Starbucks most Americans would probably still think Folger’s was real coffee and we never would have come to face the wrenching decisions we’ve had to make over “fair-trade.” And think of all the female, singer-song-writer careers that would go unfulfilled. Not to mention all the unemployed folks with Master’s degrees in CompLit.

I think Starbuck’s greatest sin (much like Google and Apple) is it became mainstream to the point that the neo-urbanists’ parents identified with the brand…