Wednesday Random Ten

I’m tempted to hold this for another day, since I’ve already posted twice today and there’s a reasonably good chance I’ll have nothing to say tomorrow. Honestly, though, it’s become one of the more fun things I do regularly on Wednesdays. (It beats the heck out of my weekly Wednesday morning meeting, that’s for sure.)

And, as always, I’m looking forward to seeing others’ lists in the comments!

1. The Naming of Things, Andrew Bird
  2. Right Time of the Night, Jennifer Warnes (My iPod has this incorrectly identified as “Afternoon Delight,” which, upon hearing the song, I knew was wrong. I had to do a quick Google search to find out which cheesy 70s pop tune it actually was.)
  3. Melt Show, Old 97s
  4. Leader of the Pack, The Shangri-Las
  5. Finale, Original Broadway Cast, Les Miserables
  6. Listen to the Radio, Nanci Griffith
  7. Teddi O’Neil, Maura O’Connell
  8. Wing and the Wheel, Nanci Griffith
  9. Tougher than the Rest, Bruce Springsteen (My very favorite Bruce song!)
  10. Los Angelenos, Billy Joel

Hm. A strange combination, overall. I want my iPod to be smart enough to find a theme.

9 thoughts on “Wednesday Random Ten

1. randomduck September 19, 2007 / 4:49 pm

Since I have a random ten over at my blog, here’s a bonus group of 10:

1. “Green Onions” – Booker T. & The MG’s
    2. “P.S. I Love You” – The Beatles
    3. “Wish You Were Here” – Roger Waters
    4. “Don’t Deceive Me” – Mildred Anderson
    5. “Move On” – Jet
    6. “Good Times Bad Times” – The Rolling Stones
    7. “I’ve Just Seen A Face” – The Beatles
    8. “The Nile Song” – Pink Floyd
    9. “Mystery Train” – Elvis Presley
    10. “Palo Verde” – The Fireman

I was hoping that George Harrison’s “Pirate Song” would pop up, but no such luck.

2. sprite September 19, 2007 / 5:53 pm

I posted ten at Randomduck’s blog, but I can post ten here, too. =)

1. Rip it Up, Little Richard
    2. You’re Aging Well, Dar Williams
    3. If I Was Your Woman/Walk On By, Alicia Keys
    4. Isolation, Mercury Rev
    5. Cold Day in July, Dixie Chicks
    6. The Captive Heart, Brendan Perry
    7. Waiting under the Waves, Kris Delmhorst
    8. You and a Day (my iPod doesn’t know who sings this song. Anyone? I’m pretty sure they’re British…)
    9. Put Your Records On, Corinne Bailey Rae
    10. Big Boss Man, Jimmy Reed

3. Snapdragon September 19, 2007 / 6:22 pm

Knowing Me, Knowing You – ABBA
    Gaudeamus Igitur – The Student Prince
    The Child is Gone – Fiona Apple
    Jeannie’s Packin Up – Brigadoon
    Doughnut Song – Tori Amos
    11:59 – Blondie
    From Us to You – The Beatles
    Sweet Lil Gal – Ryan Adams
    III Allegro Assai – Mozart
    All My Loving – The Beatles

Once again, a reminder that I need to clean my iPod, but no accident I think that the two movie/musicals my Dad introduced me to, and loved (Brigadoon and Student Prince) are represented today.

4. Joanne September 19, 2007 / 7:51 pm

I’m going to stop posting, because you all think I’m a freak:

76 Trombones–The Music Man
    Public Enemy Number .1–Das Barbequ
    A Little House For Me–Das Barbequ
    Wick–The Secret Garden
    Lullaby of Broadway–42nd Street
    I Got the Sun in the Morning–Annie, Get Your Gun
    Barbecue for Two–Das Barbequ
    Move Alon–The All American Rejects
    Good Night My Someone–The Music Man
    If I Had a Fine White Horse–The Secret Garden
    Impossible/It’s Possible–Cinderella
    God Rest Ye Merry Gentlement–Barenaked Ladies and Sarah Mclachlan
    Seasons of Love–Rent

I have U2, Dixie Chicks, Fergie, Rob Thomas, Billy Joel, Depeche Mode, Garbage, Better than Ezra…on my iPod, but apparently it likes Broadway. And the same Broadway, over and over. ARGH.

5. Joanne September 19, 2007 / 7:52 pm

Whoops, sorry. I can’t count. And all the Das Barbequ songs are wrong, because they got all jumbled when converted the CD.

6. sprite September 20, 2007 / 2:33 am

Joanne, you’re so good. I fast forward through the Christmas music on my iPod and leave it off my lists. That way no one knows I’m too lazy/geeky to take the songs off.

But “76 Trombones” does sound like a great song to start a playlist off with. Like after you heard it, you’d be awake and ready for the next song…

And, Sweetpea, we could put the Les Mis finale at the end to send us off in a truly triumphant musical moment. I swear any hearing loss I suffer from can be attributed to listening to select songs from that musical on headphones with the stereo cranked up as loud as it would go when I was a teenager.

7. Joanne September 20, 2007 / 6:40 am

Oh, I had taken off my Christmas music, but apparently this one slipped by. I love that version though, because its so pretty yet peppy. The truly geeky Christmas music I have is the album from my childhood that I downloaded off the net, with the songs “The North Pole Express,” “I Want An Elephant For Christmas” and “The Day Before the Night Before Christmas.” I LOVE that album, and was so excited to find it on the net!!

My favorite, crank up the volume song from Les Mis is “One Day More.” Gives me chills every time.

8. Shannon September 20, 2007 / 9:14 am

Back to Black, Amy Winehouse
    It’s a Long Way To the Top (If you Wanna Rock n’ Roll), ACDC
    Emmigrant’s Farewell, Cara Dillon
    Friend of Mine, Lily Allen
    Leave the Pieces, The Wreckers
    Life is Beautiful, Vega4
    You Know I’m No Good, Amy Winehouse
    You Wouldn’t Like Me, Tegan and Sara
    Holiday/Boulevard of Broken Dreams, Green Day
    Universe & U, KT Tunstall

Footnote: No, I’m not a closet metalhead like SOME people I know, but this ACDC song is fun. One word…Bagpipes!

Though going from ACDC to the Mary Black-esque voice of Cara Dillon did make my head hurt a little.

9. Shannon September 20, 2007 / 9:16 am

Joanne! I have one Christmas song on my MP3 player. It Came Upon a Midnight Clear, Sixpence None the Richer. I really like it so I play it year round. Who cares.

It may even be on the same album as the BNL/Sarah McLachlan song too. How about that?!