Random Thoughts

I don’t seem to have enough going on mentally to craft an entire post out of any one subject today, so here are a few things that are running through my mind:

• The Booga Bag, which I discussed in yesterday’s post is done. I love the way it looks, but I think it’s going to get one more run through the hot-water wash, because I am not sure the felt is dense enough. The handles are a little too stretchy for my liking.

• What’s going on with the Cosi in Dupont Circle? Getting lunch there is no longer the epitome of bad customer service experiences. I don’t know if the company has been sold, there is a new training initiative, or if something else is happening, but it’s refreshing to be able to get one of their ridiculously tasty sandwiches served without the usual side of hostility.

• Hey, sportswriters… Could you please at least mention that the Nats won the game against the Giants last night? For those of us who are Nats fans, it takes the sting out of the fact that our team is going to be in the record books as having given Barry Bonds his record-breaking home run.

• Have you heard? It’s hot out.

11 thoughts on “Random Thoughts

1. Roon August 8, 2007 / 3:26 pm

There are Nats fans? I hadn’t realized.

Did you realize the Josh Lannan is a Siena grad?

2. Sweetpea August 8, 2007 / 3:50 pm

Yes, there are Nats fans. We haven’t achieved the same level of smug superiority as Yankees fans, of course, but there are enough of us who “root, root, root for the home team” to count as a fan base.

And no, I hadn’t realized we had a Siena alum. Of course, since he would have started around the time of my 10-year reunion, having that piece of info just makes me feel old.

3. Shannon August 8, 2007 / 3:59 pm

(Ducks from the pending onslaught of slightly insulted Nationals fans)

Josh who? Huh?

4. Sweetpea August 8, 2007 / 4:12 pm

Shannon, I’m flattered that you think there are enough people reading this blog to constitute an onslaught. You’ll get, at best, a near-handful of “slightly insulted Nationals fans.”

Josh Lannan is a pitcher for the Nats. He’s very, very new and notable mostly for hitting a batter with a pitch in his MLB debut a few weeks back.

5. Joanne August 8, 2007 / 4:41 pm

Hey, that’s so cool! A Siena grad on the Nats! Go Nats!

Screw Bonds. He doped up, and it shouldn’t count. IMHO.

6. Shannon August 8, 2007 / 7:03 pm

Hey that is cool! Yay Siena!

I could give a rat’s ass about Bonds*. Yawn. No one has broken Aaron’s record as far as I’m concerned.

7. Mom August 8, 2007 / 8:57 pm

Hi All

Couldn’t agree more about Bonds! YICH!

Can’t comment on the Nats things at all….

Will say however that it is HOT, HUMID, HOT — I’ve caved in to the AC at home — after shivering in it all day at the office, I can not exist at home without it — it is more the humidity than the temp. Gotta love August in the NE and guess with GW it is going to get worse 😦 Love ya all-Mom

8. Eileen August 8, 2007 / 10:41 pm

Yeah, at least your AC is working…ours has decided to take a hiatus in the low 80s… won’t go lower but I guess we can at least be thankful that it is maintaining in the low 80s, huh?

As for the Bonds* thing, I wish I knew the way to e-eyes rolling. He is a schmo. We should all look to this years Cooperstown inductees if we want folks to look up to — Cal Jr. and Tony Gwin — they are stand up men, as in MEN and ball players. My 2 cents.

Night night from H2 Texas : )

9. Chris August 9, 2007 / 11:54 am

Can someone please show me in the MLB rule books or the CBAs w/ the players’ union that where in affect from c. 1997 to 2001 anything about drug testing or any penalties would be given to players known to be taking any type of performance enhancing drug?

The criticism of Bonds ignores three very important facts:
    1) The league willfully turned a blind eye to the issue after the 1994 strike as the offensive explosion of the late 1990’s. It was only after public pressure came to bear that MLB began to take action. Selig is as much a part of this story as Bonds.

2) Pitchers were taking performance enhancing drugs as well. Bonds almost certainly faced pitchers who befitted from faster recovery from previous games and increased endurance during games.

3) Ball players have been taking drugs for decades. Amphetamines were very common in the 1970’s and 1980’s as a way to improve concentration. My guess is a number of Hall of Famers from that era played a significant number of games while high.

Steroids should be banned and baseball took far too long to address the issue. But they weren’t banned for several years and I don’t think we should reject an entire generation of players’ achievements because MLB had a bad policy.

10. Shannon August 9, 2007 / 6:58 pm

Valid points.

However, all of these players, some of my childhood faves included I’m sure, to whom MLB turned this blind eye did not just go after and break one of the most hallowed records of major league baseball.

And they did not get caught juicing nor can it be proven, to the best of our knowledge that anyone of significance in the Hall of Fame did steroids.

Bonds* is currently being investigated, his trainer is in jail for his connection to BALCO and apparently there is some pretty convincing evidence coming forth that he is/was a juicer. All this WHILE he chased a most significant record that requires physical strength, longevity and yes, innate skill.

What really burns my butt is that he isn’t man enough to just admit it. I don’t respect him, nor do I respect his record.

If you told me today that Jim Rice, my favorite Red Sox of all time, admitted to doing steroids during his career and that his records in the Hall of Fame are now tainted and “astericked”, I’d at least respect that he admitted to it.

I am not condemning a whole generation of ballplayers…just a current one. Bonds* is not the homerun king in my book. It’s still Hank Aaron.

11. Roon August 9, 2007 / 8:13 pm

Shannon,

I think it’s safe to say that everyone in the Hall of Fame is “of significance.” That’s why they’re in the Hall of Fame in the first place.