The Age of Aquarius?

It started on Monday, when I awoke with “Frank Mills” from the musical Hair stuck in my head. Over and over, little snippets of the song came to me:

I love him, but it embarrasses me to walk down the street with him.
He lives in Brooklyn somewhere and wears this white crash helmet.
He has gold and chains on his leather jacket, and on the back are written the names Mary, and Mom, and Hell’s Angels…

Enough to drive a person nuts, really. Who gets a two-minute ditty from a 40-year-old hippie musical trapped in their heads? Especially one they haven’t actually listened to in ages?

Me and the bossman, as it turns out. By some strange coincidence, he was also stuck on Hair, though — luckily for him? — a different song. We discovered this Monday afternoon whilst having one of our (fairly frequent) conversations about things that were driving us crazy. I hoped that sharing this potentially-embarrassing earworm would make it go away.

Alas, nothing could be farther from the truth — it has actually gotten worse. I am now fixating on all sorts of random bits of various songs from the show. I cannot get this damned music out of my head. So, today I am going to listen to Hair on my iPod for as long as I can stand it, in the hopes that I will bore the music-retention spot in my brain into letting it go. I have no idea if this will work, but it seems worth a try.

Wish me luck…

6 thoughts on “The Age of Aquarius?

1. Eileen July 26, 2007 / 10:36 pm

Did it work??? I have to say, now that you have given us the lyrics, I can hear it in my head too. Thanks for the misery loves company moment, sis!

2. Shannon July 26, 2007 / 10:59 pm

Godspell was on TCM last night. I now have Prepare Ye the Way of the Lord stuck in my head.

Wanna trade?

3. Sweetpea July 27, 2007 / 10:20 am

Um, no, Shannon. Keep that one to yourself. I hate Godspell for all the reasons you know, plus the fact that it is complete crap.

No to you as well, Eileen. I ended up with too many meetings yesterday to have much iPod time. Trying again today.

4. Mom July 27, 2007 / 5:59 pm

Could it be because Dad was an Aquarius? I know you love him, you were to my knowledge never embarrassed to “walk down the street with him” — he did not live in Brooklyn and God knows Mr. Conservative never did gold chains, leather jackets, or crash helmets of any color or kind — NEVER!

I personally love that music — you got me humming it too. HUGS, Mom

5. Sweetpea July 27, 2007 / 7:32 pm

I think Dad can only be blamed insofar as it is his fault I got into theatre at all — what with watching musicals on tv seemingly every Sunday of my childhood. It certainly isn’t because he in any way resembled the characters in Hair. A hippie he surely wasn’t.

6. Shannon July 27, 2007 / 8:29 pm

Aquariuses rock (ahem – yes, I am one too)

🙂