*#^@!$% Squirrels!

It’s bad enough that squirrels have been eating my tomatoes just as they ripen, but when they leave behind the skins just to mock me, it’s too much. This is war.

Added Tuesday evening:

I should have updated this as soon as I got to work, but I didn’t get a chance….

I left the apartment a few minutes after writing this post, and guess what was on the sidewalk about 100 feet past my building? A dead squirrel, which is not something I ordinarily see on the sidewalk. And because I wasn’t feeling any compassion towards the creatures this morning, all I could think was, “I hope that’s the fucker that’s been eating my tomatoes.”

12 thoughts on “*#^@!$% Squirrels!

1. Shannon July 17, 2007 / 9:20 am

So DC squirrels do that too? Mine left the skins right at my back door step as if to mock me as well.

I haven’t tried to grow any since.

So are you going to go after them Caddyshack-style? I’d like to see that!

2. Chris July 17, 2007 / 9:55 am

You have to understand the tomato skins tickle their little throats. Squirrels, and all rodents actually, are incapable of sarcasm and mocking.

3. sprite July 17, 2007 / 10:01 am

I have to admit that after our first tomato walked out of our garden one night, Rudi and I picked the second one green and brought it home to ripen in the kitchen.

4. Mom July 17, 2007 / 11:07 am

Sweetpea (and all) — try sprinkling cayanne pepper on the leaves of the plants — sear the little suckers throats — or at least their sneezing will wake you up (take out the ear plugs for that) and then you can go chase them away 🙂

5. shannon July 17, 2007 / 11:39 am

Will that work for rabbits, chipmunks, racoons and deer as well? Afterall, I do have Wild Kingdom in my backyard.

What I really need is chicken wire or something of the like. That and a big fence.

Chris, of course rodents can’t mock…it just SEEMS like they do!

6. Wendy July 17, 2007 / 7:53 pm

What is this, Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom (which is back on the air, BTW)?

7. Joanne July 17, 2007 / 8:10 pm

This is why I don’t garden at all…

8. Sweetpea July 17, 2007 / 8:51 pm

9. Mom July 17, 2007 / 10:07 pm

The bigger critters are a bigger PITA. One of unknown origin keeps tipping over my cast concrete bird bath the last few nights which results in sleep interuptus, because the resident dog goes ballistic — “we” see nothing until morning — an overturned spa is the clue! Could be a deer, bear, or raccoon. And, yes, we do have migrating black bear from northern PA this year — several have been sighted and photographed nearby. As for me, I’ll just plain leave ’em be and keep Mr. Toby inside 🙂 Oh yea!