Can I Have One? Pretty Please?

iPhoneJust two more days until the iPhone is available and I have a serious case of object lust. I have, in fact, since it was first announced. When I was e-mailing the IT director at work about it back in January, I honestly said “It is so beautiful I can hardly stand it.”(Yes, I really am that geeky.)

As time has passed and news of the iPhone’s features has come out, my interest in it has only increased. With the launch looming, reviews are starting to come in, most of which suggest it is worth the hype. Even better, AT&T has announced that the rate plans for the iPhone will start at $59/month with all features included — so my monthly phone bill will actually go down.

But $500 for a phone? I don’t know if my inner cheapskate (yes, I do have one) will allow me to spend that much.

19 thoughts on “Can I Have One? Pretty Please?

1. Shannon June 27, 2007 / 1:24 pm

Me too please!

My LG White Chocolate phone, which seemed so cool at the time, looks like a piece of junk now.

2. Chris June 27, 2007 / 4:59 pm

Don’t let Eileen know, but mine should be delivered Saturday!

3. Eileen June 27, 2007 / 5:12 pm

My husband is baiting me. He knows the divorce proceedings start the Monday after the iPhone is delivered.

Sis, keep loving your trio and that video pod that you *had to have* and that my husband *had to get* because you had one!

ps. For any of you feeling sorry for my husband, he can have his iPhone when I get my house and my baby 😉

4. randomduck June 27, 2007 / 5:21 pm

I just can’t fully swallow the switch of providers – T-Mobile has been great, and they’re one of the iPhone’s providers in the EU. But in the US? AT&T or nothing. Damn and dast.

And yes, $500 (or $600 if you want the one with 8GB of memory) is a lot of scratch for a phone.

But it is lust worthy, isn’t it? The line at the Apple Store here in SLC is short…. hmmm….

5. Joanne June 27, 2007 / 7:01 pm

Its not just the $600 initial outlay, its the $100 a month for two years (for potentially inferior AT&T service). Its entirely too ridiculous. Yes, its seriously fun looking. The commercials are well done. But I’m not laying out nearly $3000 for a phone.

6. Sweetpea June 27, 2007 / 7:14 pm

See… that’s the thing. For me, it really is just is the initial $5/600 outlay. I’ve been a Cingular/AT&T customer for years and find their service to be just fine. The new pricing scheme with the bundled services will actually lower my bill by about $15 a month. And I hatehatehate my Treo as a phone. It’s a great PDA, but the phone service is lousy, and pretty much everyone I know who has one agrees — regardless of carrier. It’s so bad that I can’t even make calls in my apartment. I have to go onto the back porch. (And no, that’s not a service issue. Other people I know who have Cingular/AT&T can use their phones in my apartment, just not me.)

So the ONLY question that remains is, am I willing to throw down that much for a phone?

7. randomduck June 27, 2007 / 10:59 pm

You can has iFone.

I wave hands – make it tru.

Okthanksbai.

(Hee hee – I’ve been reading too many LOLspeak sites, including LOLHoff.)

8. Chris June 28, 2007 / 9:29 am

AT&T cell phone service is fine and I don’t have any problems 99% of the time. The issue a) they don’t cover a number of mid-sized cities and b) EDGE internet is painfully slow. My current Blackberry takes about 30 seconds to load a typical BB-optimized webpage and Google maps takes 15-20 seconds to reload after zooming.

The iPhone is running the full-blown Safari browser, so there’s no stripping out large graphics or ASP or other big chunks of data.

9. Mom June 28, 2007 / 11:47 am

$500 for a phone!!! Good thing Dad’s not around to bounce that one off of 🙂 I have been thinking about upgrading to just a new CELL phone Cellphone — nothing fancy — just for phone calls as mine is 2 1/2 years old already. Wonder if Dave has heard about this? That will be his next toy, I’m sure. Seriously, Sweetpea, are you serious???

10. Sweetpea June 28, 2007 / 5:17 pm

Yeah, Ma… I’m serious. It’s that cool. And I don’t doubt that Dave has heard about it, since he’s a Mac guy.

And Chris, you’re right about the EDGE network, it is awful, and I’ve heard that the iPhone won’t be able to upgrade to a better version. It will have wifi to compensate, which will probably be fine, but that’s my one sticking point. Well, besides the money.

11. Marlene June 28, 2007 / 8:30 pm

All I hear is “blah blah, techincal term I don’t understand, blah blah, $500”. Can someone tell me what all that stuff means? I feel like I’m missing out on some cool stuff that I don’t even know about!

12. Joanne June 28, 2007 / 11:21 pm

Its good to see that we are the same as the rest of the country–the iPod post has gotten the most comments on this blog!

Marlene, as I understand it, it can do almost everything your laptop can do—show really bright pictures, full web browsing, email, camera (I DON’T WANT A FRACKIN’ CAMERA IN MY PHONE!!!), blah blah blah. It does look cool. But the hype is absurd.

I do like the full-graphics web browsing. Reading webpages on my Berry was painful.

Sarah, I didn’t know it could do wireless internet (wifi for Marlene :). That would be good around here, wifi is around a lot.

13. Sweetpea June 29, 2007 / 8:31 am

Marlene, you need to watch more tv; the iPhone commercial is on about every 10 minutes. Joanne is right, though. It’s basically a full-on mini computer disguised as a phone. It is also incredibly stylish in design, so it has the perfect combo of usability and cool, which is why it’s getting all the hype. I’ve updated the link on the main post (just click on the picture) to go to the Apple page about the iPhone so you can go see their pages on it if you want.

14. Mom June 30, 2007 / 9:29 am

Saturday morning 6/30 — too early to call, but DID YOU GET ONE????

The paper pretty much said the big event here turned out to be a Non-event. The two AT&T stores here hired 8 new employees to cover the crunch and only 12 people showed up to buy!

15. Shannon June 30, 2007 / 9:56 am

It was a bit of an event here I’d say according to the TU

“Crossgates Mall on Friday evening sounded like New Year’s Eve, as more than 100 Apple enthusiasts, opportunists and curious techies marked the launch of Apple Inc.’s newest gadget — the iPhone.

“I’m looking forward to having a better phone … and I’m looking forward to sleeping,” said Link Hughes, 28, of Troy. The computer game developer, joined by his colleagues from 1st Playable Productions, was the first in line at 4:45 a.m. Friday.

(snip)

Ray Bennett, 42, of Guilderland, and his girlfriend decided Thursday night they would each grab two — the customer limit — and auction them off. They were among the first 20 customers at the Crossgates store.

(snip)

That secrecy was evident Friday, as Apple stores closed down at 2 p.m. and windows were blacked out. Guilderland police officers stood guard in front of the Crossgates store. The customer hopefuls who formed a snaking line in front of the store were anxious with anticipation.

At 5:30 p.m., Apple employees tore down the black canvas to reveal two giant iPhones counting down to the launch a half-hour later. That final countdown was a spectator event, as dozens of curious mall patrons stopped to watch the official launch.”

16. Sweetpea June 30, 2007 / 11:02 am

I decided I would only get one yesterday if the At&T store by my office didn’t have a line. (It’s always been empty when I’ve gone there, so I thought maybe it was off the radar.) Alas, the line was half a block long by the time I wandered by at 6:30, so no phone for me.

However, I discovered last night that there is now an AT&T store on Pennsylvania Ave right by my apartment — it must be brand new. So, I may swing by there in a little while to see if they have any left.

17. Chris July 1, 2007 / 8:34 pm

Wow, iLounge.com is reporting two of their phones took 18 and 40 hours to activate. Imagine waiting in line 24 hours for the phone, getting home and waiting another two days for the iTune-AT&T software to activate your phone.

I’d be thinking about Blackjack from Sprint…

18. Sweetpea July 1, 2007 / 10:56 pm

I did find it odd that iTunes did not prompt me to load the new version (which was pretty much just to support the iPhone) until today, though I used it Friday and yesterday. That would have ticked me off. I guess it is good that I waited.

Or, am waiting, to be more accurate.

19. Shannon July 9, 2007 / 10:57 am

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I had to after seeing this bit on the Red Tape Chronicles Blog on MSNBC regading what Apple did NOT tell you about their iPhones: http://redtape.msnbc.com/2007/07/why-was-iphones.html

“The iPhone battery will only survive about 300-400 recharges, the company says. Because the unit is sealed, consumers can’t swap out dead batteries. Instead, dead phones must be sent to Apple, where battery replacement will take three business days and cost $79 plus a $6.95 shipping charge. Those who can’t live without their cell phones for those three days can rent a spare iPhone for $29.

This pricey, and apparently inevitable, aftercharge never made it into any of the voluminous news stories written and filmed about the iPhone prior to its launch on June 29. Why not?”

Nope, I won’t consider buying one anymore. Bad move Apple.