Birthday Fun Facts

In order to get a post up this morning before leaving for work, I’ve descided to grab a meme from sprite. It seems a lot faster than trying to beat one of my drafts into submission. (They’re all a bit of a mess right now.)

The rules: You go to Wikipedia and type in your birthday (only month & day). Then you write down 3 events, 2 births, 1 holiday, and then you tag 5 friends.

(I’m also going to skip over anything on April 9th that I already know about, like the surrender at Appomattox and the fact that I share my birthday with Hugh Hefner.)

Events

• 193 – Septimius Severus is proclaimed Roman Emperor by the army in Illyricum (in the Balkans).
  • 1413 – Henry V is crowned King of England.
  • 1991 – Georgia declares its independence from the Soviet Union.

Births

• 1898 – Paul Robeson, American singer and activist (d. 1976)
  • 1989 – Adam Hunter, Northern Irish presenter [I don’t know who this is, but the fact that he was born the year I graduated from high school amuses me for some reason. Maybe ’cause he’s already famous enough to be in Wikipedia?]

Holiday

• Feast for Three Days – Second Day (Thelema)

I’m going to follow sprite’s lead and not tag anyone, but have at it in the comments or on your blog if you wish.

10 thoughts on “Birthday Fun Facts

1. Snapdragon June 26, 2007 / 11:20 am

Okay, May 19th…

I did 3 births, 2 events, and 1 holiday because I had to be a contrarian…

BIRTHS

1795 – Johns Hopkins (d. 1873), philanthropist (Johns Hopkins University is obviously named after him and coincidentially, this is where I did my MPP)

1890 – Ho Chi Minh (d. 1969), leader of communist revolution in Viet Nam

1925 – Pol Pot (d. 1998), leader of Cambodia, if the butcher of millions of people can be called a “leader”

EVENTS

1536 – Anne Boleyn, 2nd wife of Henry VIII of England, was beheaded for adultery

1864 – American Civil War battle of Spotsylvania Court House (Virginia) ended

HOLIDAY

– Commemoration of Ataturk – Youth and Sports Day in Turkey (May 19 is Mustafa Kemal Ataturks birthday as well)

I must say, I see a lot of coincidence here. I am very into Vietnam and Cambodia these days, have always been a British monarchy and American Civil War addict, and work in philanthropy (well nonprofits, which are funded by philanthropy). This is a little weird — even places I have lived are reflected in this list. Thanks sis!

2. Shannon June 26, 2007 / 12:01 pm

This is cool!

February 18th

Events:

1841 – The first ongoing filibuster in the United States Senate begins and lasts until March 11.

1948 – Eamon de Valera resigns as Taoiseach of Ireland.

2001 – Dale Earnhardt is killed in a crash during the final lap of the Daytona 500, which was won by Michael Waltrip, driving in a car that Earnhardt owned. His son, Dale Earnhardt, Jr. finished second.
    (Can I tell you how thrilled I am to have my birthday associated with this?)

Births: Eat your heart out Sixteen Candles Enthusiasts! I thought about listing Helen Gurley Brown and Toni Morrison to be all feminist and all, but this was much cooler!

1950 – John Hughes, American director

1968 – Molly Ringwald, American actress

Holiday:

Gambian Independence Day

Because I thought the one and only listed holiday was lame, I’d like to point out that occassionally my birthday falls on President’s Day.

3. Chris June 26, 2007 / 12:46 pm

Didn’t Pol Pot just win that talent show in the UK?

4. Marlene June 26, 2007 / 2:39 pm

Pretty neat, and much cheaper than the Birthday Times things you can buy!

Events:

1807 – Robert Fulton’s first American steamboat leaves New York City for Albany, New York on the Hudson River, inaugurating the first commercial steamboat service in the world.

1933 – New York Yankees first baseman Lou Gehrig played his 1,308th consecutive game, breaking Everett Scott’s record. He would continue the streak until 1939.

1962 – East German border guards kill 18-year-old Peter Fechter as he attempts to cross the Berlin Wall into West Berlin becoming the first victim of the wall.

Births:

1786 – Davy Crockett, American frontiersman and soldier (d. 1836)

1959 – David Koresh, American cult leader (d. 1993)

1971 – Jorge Posada, Puerto Rican baseball player

Holiday:

Rastafari movement – celebration of the birth of Marcus Garvey, considered a prophet.

I chose three birthdays because I just couldn’t get rid of any of the three. I mean Davy Crockett, David Koresh and Jorge Posada…how’s a girl to choose between those three?!

5. Shannon June 26, 2007 / 4:29 pm

Apparently you’ve been Yankee-brainwashed.

Sigh.

6. Chris June 26, 2007 / 4:55 pm

Feb 1

Events (all tragic):
    1861 – American Civil War: Texas secedes from the United States.

2003 – Space Shuttle Columbia disintegrates during reentry into the Earth’s atmosphere, killing all seven astronauts aboard.

2004 – At least 244 people are trampled to death in a stampede at the Hajj pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia.

Births:
    1931 – Boris Yeltsin, 1st President of the Russian Federation (d. 2007)

1948 – Rick James, American musician and composer (d. 2004)

1968 – Pauly Shore, American comedian

Holiday:
    Observed as “national” porridge day by parts of Northern England, but this has been disputed by Southern England in the past.

7. Sweetpea June 26, 2007 / 4:59 pm

OK, I am not sure what’s funnier: that there is a national porridge day in England, or that there is a regional dispute as to when it takes place.

8. Marlene June 26, 2007 / 5:19 pm

Shannon,

Not brain-washed, I was always (at least when I followed baseball) a Yankee fan. I was NEVER a Red Sox fan, but I did like the Pirates as a kid because they had neat uniforms!

9. Joanne June 26, 2007 / 7:51 pm

OK, here I go:

Events:

1282 – Llywelyn ap Gruffydd or Gruffudd (b. c. 1228) the last native [in other words, true–jt] Prince of Wales, was killed at Cilmeri, near Builth Wells, south Wales. He was the last prince of an independent Wales before its conquest by King Edward I of England. (I actually already knew this. Being part Welsh, this made me sad. So I feel compelled to post it.)

1936 – Abdication Crisis: Edward VIII’s abdication as King of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, the British Dominions beyond the Seas, and Emperor of India becomes effective. (Kewl.)

2001 – The People’s Republic of China joins the World Trade Organization. (Being a wannabe China hand, I had to choose this one!)

Births:

1725 – George Mason, American statesman (ANd fellow Virginian. Kewl.)

1962 – Ben Browder, American actor (Oh, I’m so excited that they listed him! He’s so hot!)

(John Kerry as well, but I already knew that.)

Holiday:

Wales – Remembrance Day of Llywelyn II (Like I said, it makes me sad.)

10. Wendy June 26, 2007 / 9:59 pm

February 3

Events:

1690 – The colony of Massachusetts issues the first paper money in America. and then immediately demanded half of it back in anticipation of my third entry – see below

1815 – The first commercial cheese factory is founded (Switzerland). I’m guessing they made…wait for it…Swiss cheese

1913 – The Sixteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution ratified, authorizing the Federal government to impose and collect a graduated income tax. (oh joy)

Births:

1894 – Norman Rockwell, American illustrator (d. 1978)

1956 – Nathan Lane, American actor

Holidays/Liturgical Feasts:

-United States – the earliest calendar day that Mardi Gras can occur.

Feast of Saint Blaise, Catholics visit churches to have their throats blessed.

I included Feast of Saint Blaise, because that’s my confirmation name and I’ve always thought it was cool.

-Wendy